Little girls chasing butterflies,
spinning cotton candy
round in stripes across the sky,
bands of pink and blue, stretch
from curls that wind down
bouncing with each step.
Walking along the river,
a man rides by with a bicycle
that quivers with age--
but he rides assuredly, seeping
wisdom like chocolate
from a sail boat, sleek.
Trees bend and quake, while
ashes turn to sweet, rich dark earth
that forms a softness beneath
the feet, droplets
of caramel, colored pebbles,
falsely sweet.
This is so, so good. You have such a simple and sweet way of saying things... and I love all the references to candy and chocolate!
ReplyDeleteokay, so i read this and think to myself, haha, wow, we both posted original poems today that mention cotton candy.
ReplyDeletethen i see you've commented on my blog, and you're saying the exact thing i am.
well you know what they say, about great minds.
(i love the candy bits of your poem--so good. the caramel and chocolate descriptions are wonderful.)
Thank you Priya! I actually wrote this last April but my mind could not write poetry last week, so I posted it instead (:
ReplyDeleteErin, I really do love your poem. I just reread it and it's so beautiful. It's delicate and subtle yet creates vivid imagery within my mind which is everything I love about a poem. And it breaks traditional style which is also how I prefer poetry. So basically it's awesome.
Anyways, I love it too (: